3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks
Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC (NASDAQ: HRZN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.70%. Horizon Technology Finance Corporation, a specialty finance company, lends to and invests in development-stage companies in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.04. The average volume for Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC has been 81,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC has a market cap of $135.5 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 5.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 28.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE is rather high; currently it is at 62.30%. Regardless of HRZN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HRZN's net profit margin of -55.56% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE reported lower earnings of $0.56 versus $1.44 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.40 versus $0.56).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$10.75 million or 137.83% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The share price of HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE has not done very well: it is down 18.73% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts