Metallica To Debut New Film On IMAX In September
By CHRIS TALBOTT
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) â¿¿ Metallica already planned to go big with its new 3D film. IMAX is helping make the debut for "Metallica Through The Never" giant-sized.
The film that mixes concert footage with a dramatic narrative and CGI will open Sept. 27, becoming the first movie to debut on IMAX's chain of super-sized screens. The film will open wide a week later.
"To be at the forefront in this situation where IMAX has never done this is very exciting," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich said. "It's also a bit of a confidence booster. Being in the movie-making business is not necessarily our forte and it's been a very interesting three years. We've learned a lot about a lot of different things. The recognition from IMAX and to be able to have our fans and people that are interested in this film to see it and experience it in the IMAX format is super cool."Ulrich, in his first interview about the movie, chuckled at the long road the film, directed by Nimrod Antal, has taken to near completion. It remains in post-production where concert and narrative footage are being knitted together with CGI effects to create something the band thinks will be completely different from the average concert film. "Any filmmaker hopes people like a film," Ulrich said, "but what I can guarantee is that it will be unlike anything that anybody's ever seen before â¿¿ so at least that's something. And for that I'm pretty excited." Ulrich, speaking by phone from Cape Town, South Africa, where the pioneering metal band will play this week, didn't want to go too deeply into details about the film. It stars young "Chronicle" actor Dane DeHaan as a member of Metallica's concert tour crew who's sent on a special mission by the band. The movie follows two parallel story lines â¿¿ DeHaan's scripted narrative and the band's concert â¿¿ which intertwine throughout.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV