"We could very easily see a month or two of volatility as nerves calm and the market consolidates from the slump that we saw in the last couple of weeks, but I think with that under our belt and as soon as we get some more positive news coming through we could see a lift," Neil Meader, head of precious metals research and forecasts at Thomson Reuters GFMS, said during a phone interview from London.
Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) climbed 7.5%. The company reported Wednesday that its first-quarter profit dropped 18% to $847 million, or 85 cents a share on revenue of $3.44 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV