Updated from 11:25 a.m. ET with settlement prices.
Gold for June delivery at the COMEX division of the CME jumped $14.90 to $1,423.70 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,433.60 and as low as $1,411.50 an ounce, while the spot price was adding $17.60, according to Kitco's gold index.
"If we see signs of a weaker economy it tends to be positive for gold, because it changes expectations for monetary policy," said Jeffrey Nichols, senior economic adviser at Rosland Capital. "So today's durable goods orders being a big disappointment has some... thinking that the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV