April 24, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) has been named to the
"Top 50 Companies for Diversity" list for the third consecutive year.
's "Top 50 Companies for Diversity" is known as a leading assessment of diversity management globally. To make the list, participating companies must have more than 1,000 employees and demonstrate strength in key diversity areas: CEO commitment, human capital, corporate and organizational communications, and supplier diversity – while also showing year-to-year progress in diversity initiatives. A total of 893 companies participated, compared to 587 in 2012.
"We are honored to again be included on the
, Lilly's chief diversity officer. "This recognition underscores Lilly's commitment to a culture that embraces difference, values inclusion, and supports our belief that diversity empowers us to generate unique ideas, create solutions and deliver innovation to improve outcomes for our patients."
This year's list includes companies from a range of industries whose leadership, procurement practices, communications and training best reflect the rapidly changing face of America. The full list can be found at www.
"On the heels of the demographically revealing 2012 presidential election, it is clear that U.S. companies are increasingly conscious of the importance of diversity," said
, CEO of DiversityInc. "We are very encouraged to see more companies applying for this distinction and embracing diversity more deeply than ever. We also note a continued positive correlation between achievement in diversity and overall positive stock performance."
Both the 2013 and the 2012
Top 50 lists outperformed the S&P 500 on a one-, three- and five-year basis.
Hawkins said Lilly's work to continuously improve inclusiveness has led to many successes in
the United States
and at its global affiliates.
Many of the programs are focused on female representation and leadership, which have been noted as areas of strength for Lilly by
Previous evaluations of Lilly have spotlighted the company's success in the representation of women at top management levels and the promotion rate of women into management and within management ranks.
Lilly also has received several honors for its workplace initiatives involving women. Key awards include:
- 2020 Women on Boards Winning Company for having over 20 percent of the board of directors female (Lilly's is 29 percent)
- Working Mother magazine Hall of Fame; Lilly has been on the Working Mothers list for 17 consecutive years
- Top Companies for Executive Women (NAFE) list since 2009
also has indicated Lilly's talent development programs and pipeline for other under-represented groups are showing results. Additional organizations have honored Lilly for these programs. The honors include:
- LATINO 100 top companies offering opportunities for Latinos,
- Human Rights Campaign Best Places to Work Corporate Equality Index, perfect score
- Best in Class Employers of Asian Pacific American Professionals Finalist
The results are determined by statistical analysis. It is an independent editorial process and there is no fee to enter the competition and no requirement to conduct business with
2013 survey results show that Top 50 companies have:
- 76% more Blacks, Latinos and Asians on their boards of directors than the Fortune 500
- 54% more women on their boards of directors than the Fortune 500
- 43% more women in the top level (CEO and direct reports) than the Fortune 500
- 16.6% more Blacks, Latinos and Asians in the top level (CEO and direct reports) than the Fortune 500
- 16% of Top 50 CEOs are Black, Latino or Asian vs. 1.2% for the Fortune 500
notes that Top 50 companies have 51% more employees in resource groups than they did five years ago and donated 53% more to multicultural charities than they did five years ago.
The Top 50 companies were announced
also announced a number of Specialty Lists, all of which can be viewed at
To learn more about diversity at Lilly, visit
About Eli Lilly and Company
Lilly, a leading innovation-driven corporation, is developing a growing portfolio of pharmaceutical products by applying the latest research from its own worldwide laboratories and from collaborations with eminent scientific organizations. Headquartered in
, Lilly provides answers - through medicines and information - for some of the world's most urgent medical needs. Additional information about Lilly is available at
SOURCE Eli Lilly and Company