CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:IDIX), a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of drugs for the treatment of human viral diseases, today reported detailed resistance data from in vitro studies and from a three-day monotherapy clinical trial of IDX719, the Company's once-daily, potent, pan-genotypic NS5A inhibitor for the treatment of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. These data are being presented on Saturday, April 27, in a poster session at the 48 th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL), which is being held April 24 - 28, 2013 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Data from the three-day proof-of-concept study demonstrated that IDX719 was well-tolerated at daily doses up to 100 mg and showed potent antiviral activity across HCV genotypes 1-4, with mean maximal viral load reductions up to approximately 4.0 log 10 IU/mL. These data were supported by earlier in vitro findings. Clinical plasma samples at baseline, at end of treatment and at one week post-treatment were sequenced for mutations in NS5A at known IDX719 resistance-associated locations.
- The most common treatment-emergent resistant mutations were detected at NS5A positions 28, 31 and 93. The profile of these mutations varied among genotypes.
- The only resistance mutation present at baseline found to negatively affect IDX719 response was M31 in GT2-infected patients. In contrast, all GT4-infected patients had virus with M31 at baseline and responded favorably to IDX719 treatment.
- A GT1b-infected patient with a baseline Y93H mutation, which confers in vitro resistance to IDX719, achieved a 2.79 log 10 IU/mL viral load reduction after three days of once-daily 25 mg IDX719, indicating that IDX719 can retain activity against virus with known resistance mutations.
The poster presentation is titled, " Treatment-Emergent Variants Following 3 Days of Monotherapy with IDX719, a Potent, Pan-Genotypic NS5A Inhibitor, in Subjects Infected with HCV Genotypes 1-4" (Abstract No. 1209)."These additional resistance data support the promising profile of IDX719 as a potent, pan-genotypic component of future HCV combination treatment regimens," commented Douglas Mayers, M.D., Chief Medical Officer of Idenix. "We look forward to evaluating IDX719 as part of all-oral combination therapies through our collaboration with Janssen, beginning with the initiation of a phase II clinical trial of IDX719 and simeprevir in the first half of this year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV