Q1 Profits Down Sharply At Automaker Daimler
The company's flagship Mercedes brand saw sales fall in the key Chinese market as it reorganized its sales operation there. High spending of 1.6 billion euros on new plants and equipment also hurt earnings for the quarter.
The company said that earnings before interest and tax for this year would come in below last year's figure of 8.1 billion euros, due to lowered market expectations and the weak first quarter performance. The company had previously said this year's earnings would match last year's.
The profit prediction was also reduced because Daimler has sold its 15 percent stake in aerospace firm EADS, parent company of plane maker Airbus. Daimler's future earnings will therefore no longer include a share of EADS profits or losses. Daimler had 22.5 percent of EADS voting rights, and so had been reporting that proportion of EADS income.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV