JUNO BEACH, Fla., April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trees growing near power lines are one of the leading causes of power flickers and outages. With National Arbor Day around the corner, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) reminds its customers to follows its tree-planting tips.
"Line clearing is an important part of our plan to keep the lights on and our customers safe," said Eli Viamontes, FPL's manager of vegetation management. "By making the right landscaping choices, our customers can help maintain safe, reliable electric service for their families and neighbors."
"Right Tree, Right Place":
- Find the Right Tree – Trees come in many shapes and sizes, and can change dramatically as they grow. Before selecting a tree, learn how tall, wide and deep the tree will be at maturity. Visit www.FPL.com/RightTree for planting tips and a list of recommended trees by region.
- Choose the Right Place – Trees and power lines don't mix. Trees that grow too close to power lines could interrupt local electric service and cause a safety hazard. FPL encourages its customers to plant trees and bushes away from power lines to help maintain reliable electric service.
- Call Before You Dig – Some utility lines are buried underground. So, before reaching for a shovel, reach for the phone. Sunshine State One Call of Florida will have underground lines and equipment marked for free. Just call 811 at least two full business days before digging. For more information, visit www.Sunshine811.com.
- Don't Prune Near Power – FPL cautions its customers to never prune trees growing near power lines; hire trained professionals to clear vegetation away from the lines. Stay safe and stay far away from power lines at all times.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV