XLK has seriously underperformed the broader market this year. While the S&P 500 is up 9.6% so far, more defensive sectors of the market like utilities, healthcare, and consumer staples names have powered the move to record highs. Cyclical sectors like basic materials, energy and industrials have lagged. A 25% drop on AAPL has weighed on the tech sector.
Some players in the options market appear to be positioning for a turnaround for tech. Yesterday, options volume in XLK was 2.5X the daily average. Roughly 34,000 calls and 2,500 puts traded on the ETF. The flow was heavily concentrated in May 30 calls, which are 1.4% out-of-the-money and expiring in 24 days. Buyers were paying $0.23 and $0.24 cents to open new positions. More than 28,000 XLK May 30 calls changed hands yesterday and the flow created 16,082 in new OI. At 55,990 contracts, the May 30 call is now the largest block of OI in the technology fund.
Since nine select sector funds are market value-weighted, large companies dominate the ETFs and will have a significant influence on prices action. XLK, for instance, consists of 80 different names, but the top 5 companies account for 42.5% of the value of the fund. Apple has the greatest weighting at 12.8% and there is a good chance that yesterday's bullish trading in XLK is actually a play on Apple's earnings, which are due out after the closing bell today.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV