Dicker: Don't Ignore Commodity Markets
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Commodity markets are often ignored, but they shouldn't be. We can get a lot of information about what is happening in the stock markets and why by listening to what the commodity markets are telling us.
As I discuss with TheStreet's Joe Deaux in the video above, there's a lot to be gleaned from what commodities are saying right now.
Take oil, for example. While many of the commodity markets are looking increasingly weak, oil's swoon has been relatively minor, with U.S. grades of crude barely dropping 6% in the last several weeks.
Compared to the big moves downward that have emerged from copper and gold and some of the grain markets, oil's drop hasn't indicated the same kind of bad news, at least for the United States.
Instead, it's been an further indicator of a conclusion that many analysts have reached already: The United States remains the best house on a very bad block, with Chinese growth deceleration being indicated by copper's swoon and lingering European debt woes indicated by the weakness in gold and in European Brent crude grades. I talk in more detail on the global macro view of commodities in the video above. At the time of publication the author had positions in NBL and APC. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV