NORTHBROOK, Ill., April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans know that they and their homes could be impacted by a natural disaster, but they are not certain of their coverage and they have not recently reviewed their policies with an agent.
These are among the conclusions developed by research at Allstate Insurance, which encourages people to take proactive steps such as conducting a home inventory, maintaining records somewhere other than their homes, and reviewing their coverage with an agent.
"There are a lot of things that can happen to a home, but there are also a lot of things you can do proactively that would make things easier in the event of damage or loss," said Ron Stouffer, senior vice president at Allstate Insurance. "Getting through these incidents can be made considerably easier by taking the time to identify what you have and to learn what your policy covers. Allstate offers tools that help inventory homes and assess the worth of homes' contents, and taking advantage of those tools and reviewing your coverage can leave customers better informed and better prepared."
Among the details developed in the 2012 survey were the following:
- 43 percent of respondents were concerned about damage from a natural disaster, and 53 percent believed the country has faced more natural disasters than normal over the past several years.
- 22 percent were not certain or didn't know if they would be covered by their insurance policies in the event of a natural disaster.
- Just 8 percent of respondents, if forced to evacuate their home, said they would take insurance documents or records with them.
- 30 percent of respondents have not read or reviewed their homeowners or renters policies in the last three years.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts