CHRIS LAU, KAPITALL: A sharp decline in the U.S. indices last week suggests higher volatility ahead. For the week of April 15, 2013, the Nasdaq equal-weighted Index (QQQE) dropped 2.62%, while the S&P 500 dropped 2.09%. Led by a decline in gold prices, pressure on copper prices is adjusting to lower economic growth ahead. Although consumption for copper in China distorts pricing, weak supply chain figures (“ISM”) are weaker, markets appear to be topping, and the other commodity prices are dropping. (More from Chris Lau: Earnings Preview for 5 Tech Stocks)
Between April 16 and 18, 2013, Jim Cramer was bullish on 26 of the 29 calls made. On average, the bullish calls were up 8.36% from their 200-day moving average. Bearish calls were down 20.9% on average.
Notable “buy” calls are summarized in the table below:
Coca-Cola (KO) snapped back from a $40.20 low on April 15 to close at $42.66 by the end of the week. The company earned $0.46 per share on revenue of $11.04 billion. Sales volume grew by 4%, led by strength in the emerging markets, and includes sales from Thailand and India. Weaker regions were led by China, Japan, and Brazil. During the earnings call, the company said that it would aim to increase efficiency from its bottling partnerships. Coca-Cola expects that despite higher sales at low-pricing regions, pricing should remain stable. American International Group (AIG) shares are range-bound, oscillating between $37 and $40 since February 2013. AIG won a $10 billion legal battle against Bank of America (BAC). AIG filed a suit against the bank in 2011, claiming fraud and misrepresentations for the $28 billion worth of MBS purchases it made. AIG reached a 52-week high on April 8, but backed down since then.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV