"Our results demonstrate that it is feasible and safe for heart failure patients to measure their results at home on a daily basis," said Alan Maisel. "The incremental data from serial home measurements following an episode of ADHF appear to provide a novel means with which to identify those patients who are at highest risk of recurrent decompensation. The pattern or trend in BNP values may be used to identify when to correlate with a face-to-face clinical assessment or therapeutic intervention, or to guide therapy with specific medication changes without additional office visits."
Investigators have determined that the results of the HABIT pilot study warrant an interventional trial to measure the extent to which home BNP testing impacts formal outcomes measures that include hospital readmissions. A study comparing today's standard of care, which involves monitoring symptoms of heart failure and body weight changes following hospital discharge under the management of hospital-based outpatient heart failure clinics, to an algorithm that incorporates routine, home BNP measurements is set to commence before the end of 2013.
More information about the utility of natriuretic peptide testing and Alere's diagnostics for heart failure management can be found at www.alereheartfailure.com.
About AlereBy developing new capabilities in near-patient diagnosis, monitoring and health information technology, Alere enables individuals to take charge of improving their health and quality of life at home. Alere's global leading products and services, as well as its new product development efforts, focus on cardiology, infectious disease, toxicology and diabetes. Alere is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. For more information regarding Alere, please visit www.alere.com.SOURCE Alere Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV