SPOKANE, Wash., April 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Potlatch Corporation (Nasdaq:PCH) today reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013.
"We are off to a very strong start in 2013 as first quarter results exceeded our expectations," said Michael Covey, chairman and chief executive officer of Potlatch Corporation. "The strength in our Wood Products operations in 2012 carried over into 2013, as lumber prices continued to strengthen in the first quarter despite lower demand due to poor winter weather in much of the country. Last year we began to see the improvement in lumber prices begin to be reflected in higher log prices, and that trend continues today, particularly in the northern region of our Resource business. Because of the strength in sawlog prices in Idaho, we pulled forward a portion of our planned harvest from the second half of the year into the first quarter to take advantage of this pricing opportunity. In addition, the two land acquisitions we made in Arkansas in late 2012 increased our harvest levels slightly in our Southern region in the first quarter. Although sawlog prices in the South remained depressed in the first quarter, we are optimistic that pricing will improve. In our Real Estate segment, we are seeing increased demand for our rural and HBU real estate properties, which is leading to firmer pricing," concluded Mr. Covey.
Q1 2013 Financial Summary
- Total consolidated revenues for Q1 2013 were $139.3 million, compared to $112.4 million in Q1 2012 and $143.3 million in Q4 2012.
- Net income for the quarter was $15.5 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, compared to $5.1 million, or $0.13 per diluted share in Q1 2012, and $13.9 million, or $0.34 per diluted share in Q4 2012.
- EBITDDA was $33.4 million for Q1 2013 compared to $18.3 million for Q1 2012 and $36.4 million in Q4 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV