NORWICH, N.Y., April 22, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NBT Bancorp Inc. (NBT) (Nasdaq:NBTB) reported today core net income for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $14.3 million, up 8.5% from $13.2 million for the same period in 2012. Core diluted earnings per share for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $0.39, equivalent to the same period last year. Core annualized return on average assets and return on average equity were 0.90% and 9.01%, respectively, for the three months ended March 31, 2013, compared with 0.94% and 9.76%, respectively, for the three months ended March 31, 2012.
Reported results from the first quarter of 2013 include the impact of the acquisition of Alliance Financial Corporation ("Alliance") since March 8, 2013, including approximately $10.7 million in merger related expenses. Reported net income for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $7.6 million, down from $13.7 million for the same period in 2012. Reported earnings per diluted share for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $0.21 for the three months ended March 31, 2013 as compared to $0.41 for the three months ended March 31, 2012. Annualized return on average assets and return on average equity were 0.48% and 4.83%, respectively, for the three months ended March 31, 2013, as compared to 0.97% and 10.12%, respectively, for the three months ended March 31, 2012.
Selected highlights for the first quarter of 2013 include:
- Completed the previously announced acquisition of Alliance on March 8, 2013, a $1.4 billion financial holding company headquartered in Syracuse, N.Y.
- Net interest income was up 5.6% as compared to the first quarter of 2012:
- Despite the 22 basis point decline in net interest margin for the first quarter of 2013 from the first quarter of 2012, margin compression was offset primarily by strong loan growth in 2012.
- Noninterest income was up 9.4% as compared to the first quarter of 2012:
"Our successful merger and simultaneous systems conversion with Alliance were the result of a great collaborative effort by employees of both banks," said NBT President and CEO Martin Dietrich. "Team members came together and leveraged their collective expertise to plot a smooth transition for our customers. We're pleased to have the opportunity to deliver on Alliance's commitment to community banking in central New York through the addition of our new Alliance team members and branches in the same way that we deliver on this commitment across our five-state footprint. We're also proud to have completed another solid quarter with strong growth in noninterest income. Our commitment to customer service and banking fundamentals are the keys to our ongoing success in our efforts to continue to build long-term value for our shareholders."
- Insurance and financial services revenue was up 12.0% over last year.
- Trust revenue was up 36.8% over last year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts