The Dallas-based firm posted first-quarter revenue of $2.89 billion, down from $3.12 billion in the same period last year but above Wall Street's forecast of $2.85 billion.
Texas Instruments earned 32 cents a share, up from 22 cents a share in the prior year's quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 30 cents a share.
"Our revenue and earnings ended the quarter at the high end of our expected range," wrote Rich Templeton, the Texas Instruments CEO, in a statement released after market close. "Customers continued to operate in a real-time mode, maintaining minimal component inventory and ordering parts as they were needed. Our short product lead times, well-positioned inventory and ready manufacturing capacity allow us to respond rapidly to changes in demand."
Templeton added that Texas Instruments' Analog and Embedded Processing business units contributed some 77% of the firm's first-quarter revenue, five percentage points higher than the same period last year. The company also delivered robust guidance, projecting revenue between $2.93 billion and $3.17 billion and earnings between 37 cents a share and 45 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for revenue of $3.04 billion and earnings of 38 cents a share. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV