Now this looks a lot better because we didn't compare YUM to CMG. When we see the trailing 12-month revenue per share history line we learn how important it will be for YUM to not only exceed analysts' expectations but to also guide for higher future sales and revenue. The fate of the share price depends on this, so be listening to the conference call and the comments by YUM's key officers.
Analysts and investors are concerned about the company's future sales in China, which account for about half of total sales worldwide. One report says the company has already warned that same-store sales in China had dropped 13% in March, and that will be reflected in Tuesday's quarterly report.
Ending on a positive note, Taco Bell has capitalized on the popularity of Doritos-brand snack chips by introducing an innovation of its popular Doritos Locos Tacos in a cool ranch flavor. If you like YUM's Pizza Hut side of the business, you'll be happy to know they've introduced pizza "sliders," which anecdotally I've learned are growing in popularity.
Recently, I saw another mouthwatering commercial offering boneless fried chicken at none other than KFC. The media blitz of commercials and the new menu items may take time to pay off for YUM, so investors may have to wait until later in 2013 to cash in on gains in YUM shares. If the price moves closer to $60 and I see more insider buying (or dividend increases), I will consider being a YUM investor.At the time of publication, the author was not long any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV