BENTONVILLE, Ark., April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation announced that over the last fiscal year they gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions, making it the first time Walmart or any U.S. retailer has achieved that level of giving. The growth in global giving was largely due to increased in-kind donations in the U.S. to local food banks and families impacted by disasters.
"At Walmart we believe in taking care of our neighbors and our communities," said Leslie Dach, executive vice president of Corporate Affairs for Walmart. "We serve people who fight hard for their families, and we are going to fight for them. We have a responsibility to do what we can to give them better options and better lives."
"One way we can do that is through our giving, and we've tried to step up in a big way," Dach continued. "We are using our size and the unique strengths of our business to address the issues that enable us to have the most impact in communities around the world, building programs in areas such as hunger relief, job training and support of local schools."
Overall, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation's total global contributions of $1.08 billion in the last fiscal year include:
- U.S. giving of $1 billion in cash and in-kind gifts, up from $872.7 million last year
- More than 351 million meals to local food banks through Feeding America
- 1 million bottles of water to residents impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- $1.9 million in grants to Share Our Strength to provide 122,000 families the skills and resources needed to prepare healthy, affordable meals
- Our stores and clubs gave $4.9 million toward first responders, including nearly $3 million toward local law enforcement
- $106.4 million in cash and in-kind gifts given by Sam's Club and the Sam's Club Giving Program
- Helped 3,600 small-business owners get the training they need to succeed
- Provided grants to nonprofit partners that enabled 265 small-business loans
- International giving of $82.2 million in cash and in-kind gifts
- Donated more than 23,000 tons of food to hunger relief organizations in Mexico, helping more than 4,000 children battle malnutrition
- Walmart Canada donated and raised $3 million to support 1,251 Breakfast Clubs of Canada programs
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts