MIRAMAR, Fla., April 22, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spirit Airlines (Nasdaq:SAVE) is celebrating Earth Day today as it begins flying its new Airbus A320 Sharklet-equipped aircraft, further solidifying the carrier as "Earth's Favorite Way to Fly."
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=18255
Sharklets are Airbus' new wingtip device that improves the aircraft's aerodynamics which significantly reduces fuel burn by up to four percent and lowers emissions. The technology reduces annual greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 1,000 tons of CO2 per aircraft – that's equivalent to taking 200 cars off the road! Made from light-weight composites and measuring eight feet in height, Sharklets also offer the flexibility of adding an additional 100 nautical miles range or increased payload capability of up to 450 kilograms. In addition, they reduce engine maintenance costs and increase operational efficiencies, including improved take-off performance, better rate of climb and optimum altitude."We are thrilled to be celebrating Earth Day by operating our new Airbus A320 with new Sharklet technology," said Spirit's President and CEO Ben Baldanza. "Spirit is proud to be doing our part to make travel not only more affordable for our customers, but at the same time green. From our modern all-Airbus fleet and eco-friendly seating configuration among other innovations, and now Sharklets, Spirit has taken serious measures to reduce our fuel consumption and be more eco-conscious, while at the same time continuing to offer our customers the lowest fares in the industry."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV