MINNEAPOLIS, April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Xcel Energy today announced a 16 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions, or 14 million tons, since the utility in 2005 began a reduction strategy in its eight-state service territory. The company's goal is to achieve a 20 percent CO2 reduction by 2020, and the latest projections are that it will surpass that goal by up to 7 percent.
"We all share the goal of satisfying the country's growing energy demands in the least expensive, most reliable and cleanest way possible," said Ben Fowke, chairman, president and CEO of Xcel Energy. "We continue to successfully pursue a strategy that reflects our customers' desire to protect the environment and our desire to produce clean energy while maintaining reliable service at an affordable price."
Xcel Energy's emissions-reduction strategy is built on three components:
- Renewable energy. The American Wind Energy Association named Xcel Energy the No. 1 provider of wind energy in the nation. Xcel Energy has held that spot for nine consecutive years.
- Efficiency programs. For 30 years, Xcel Energy has provided its residential and business customers with efficiency and rebate programs to help them save energy and money.
- Power plant upgrades/repowering. Xcel Energy pursues power plant emission-reduction initiatives that address environmental concerns efficiently.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV