- Total assets in 529 plans rose 25 percent in 2012.
- Traditional open-end mutual funds have outperformed 529 plans investment options over the past five years. Age-based 529 options also have trailed their benchmarks. Higher expenses are likely to blame for much of the performance shortfall, as 529 investment options' have extra layers of expenses that can bump their total expense ratio 20 to 30 basis points higher than fees for similar mutual fund offerings.
- Despite having higher expense ratios than open-end funds, 529 plan investment options have steadily lowered their fees. In all Morningstar 529 categories, average total expense ratios are lower in 2013 than they were in 2011.
- Direct-sold 529 plans continue to gain market share at the expense of advisor-sold plans, a trend that may reflect the rise of independent, fee-only advisors, who typically aren't paid on commission and may be more likely than an affiliated advisor to direct client assets toward a cheaper direct-sold plan. Also, some direct-sold 529 plans have begun to specifically target RIAs in their marketing campaigns and investment offerings.
- Conservative allocation investment options have gained the most in new flows among all static portfolios in Morningstar 529 plan categories over the past 12 months, with more than $1 billion in assets added as of Jan. 31, 2013, according to Morningstar's data.
- Virginia's 529 plans have the most assets under management by a wide margin—more than $37.5 billion. New York's plans, the second-largest, have more than $14 billion in assets under management.
- "Closed architecture" plans, which include investment options with underlying investments from a single provider, have outperformed "open architecture" plans, which include investment options with underlying investments from a number of providers, on a risk-adjusted basis over the long term. The closed architecture plans also had lower expenses.
Morningstar Report On 529 College-Savings Plans Shows Rapid Asset Growth, Shrinking Expenses
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.