The app utilizes Summly's technology, which turns longer-form news stories into quick summaries for readers. "We acquired Summly less than a month ago, and we're thrilled to introduce this game-changing technology in our first mobile application," Mayer wrote on Yahoo!'s blog. "And, with the immersive imagery of our virtually endless newsfeed, the new Yahoo! app has both great technology and beautiful design front and
We saw a little bit of the power of Summly last week, when Yahoo! reported first-quarter earnings. Mayer fed her 2,000-word script into Summly, and it condensed it into 140 words, highlighting the major points and getting the tone pretty accurate.
Perhaps this launch, coupled with last week's announcement of a new weather app, is what Mayer meant by Yahoo! coming to market with updated products. "So I really think what you're going to see is that Yahoo!'s products will be releasing with small changes much more frequently and there'll even be what I would call version updates, much more frequently, particularly on mobile and on the website," Mayer said, when asked about getting new products to market.
The new Yahoo! app not only includes Summly and a redesign, it also includes better video and image search as part of the experience. The new app is available in the U.S. Shares of Yahoo! were higher in early Monday trading, up 0.47% to $23.58. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV