Looking to trade on earnings season results? Is so, get ready for an interesting week. Of the nearly 500 stocks that have a strong and consistent history of positive earning surprises, meaning they have consistently beaten analyst expectations, more than 150 will be reporting next week.
We decided to take a closer look at this universe of stocks to see if there is a chance their winning streak will continue for another season.
The stocks in our starting universe boast a history of surprising the market with positive earnings reports, with an average earnings surprise of at least 5% over the last five quarterly reports.
To find candidates for a winning streak we looked for bullish signals from institutional investors, such has hedge funds. Because these money managers typically have more access to market data than the average investor, their trading decisions can help signal for what's to come. We specifically screened for net institutional purchases in the current quarter that represent more than 5% of share float.Twenty-five stocks made the cut, but we took our screen a step further to pull out names offering a dividend. A strong earnings could lead to a boost in yield, so income investors may want to keep an eye out. Twelve stocks are on our final list, which has an average 1-year return of 45% and an average dividend yield of 2.75%. Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis. Interactive chart. Press play to see changes in dividend yield for the first nine stocks on this list. Click through to access more tools, open a practice trading account, and more 1. Banner Corporation (BANR): Operates as the holding company for Banner Bank and Islanders Bank that provide commercial banking and financial products and services to individuals, businesses, and public sector entities. Market cap at $577.38M, most recent closing price at $29.67.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV