RICHMOND, Va., April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dozens of environmental groups in Virginia will share $500,000 in grants this year from the charitable arm of Dominion Resources, the parent company of Dominion Virginia Power, to preserve wetlands, plant trees, monitor water quality and more.
The first wave of grants from The Dominion Foundation – $275,000 – will go out this month to 17 organizations. A listing is available at https://www.dom.com/about/community/pdf/spring-2013-env-grants-awarded.pdf . A second wave of environmental grants goes out later this year, starting in October.
"Providing grants for environmental projects is one of the mainstays of our corporate giving program," said Paul Koonce, chief executive officer of Dominion Virginia Power. "We know supplying electric power affects our world, so we focus on obeying environmental laws and regulations, operating our units efficiently and giving back to our communities."
Grants are funded from corporate profits, not customer bills.Among the recipients in the first wave are:
- The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, $25,000, to expand its citizen water monitoring program to the Tidal York and Small Coastal Basins watersheds
- Friends of Southwest Virginia in Abingdon, $20,000, to identify and implement access points along the Clinch River
- The Nature Generation in Arlington, $15,000, to establish the first Monarch Waystation at the Chapman DeMary Trail in downtown Purcellville
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV