- Think "refurbished" on printer ink. Woroch says that 373 million used-up ink cartridges are discarded every year, winding up on local landfills. That's easily avoidable, as 97% of ink cartridge components are reusable and can be recycled. Save some money and reduce the burden on landfills by buying refurbished printer ink cartridges. Go online to sites such as InkjetWilly.com for some good deals.
- Opt for reusable snack bags. Some 20 million plastic baggies wind up next to those ink cartridges in U.S. landfills annually. Woroch advises buying reusable snack bags from online providers such as SnackTaxi.com. The bags are dishwasher safe and can be used again and again.
- Buy a lemon. No, not four-wheeled lemons from a used-car lot, which can dent your bank account. Woroch is talking about actual, genuine lemons that have multiple household uses. "Lemons are a natural cleanser, helping to cut grease on dirty dishes and clean countertops when mixed with water. You can even use lemon juice to keep creepy crawlers from invading your house," Woroch says. Check out the website CouponSherpa.com, which offers 55 household uses for lemons that can save you plenty on cleaning products.
- Close your blinds. Heating and cooling are at the top of any household budget expenditure. Keep those bills in check, and protect the environment, by keeping your blinds down. "Simply closing your blinds can help mitigate the warming effects of the sun, since 40% of unwanted heat comes through windows," Woroch says.
- Recycle your mobile phone. Woroch says that, on average, cellphone users upgrade their phones every 18 months. That leaves a ton of old phones lying around -- 140 million wind up in those landfalls every year, Woroch says. That's bad for Mother Nature, as cellphones contain toxic chemicals including lead, lithium and cadmium. So don't toss your phone in the trash -- donate it to a good cause such as reuse by Cell Phones for Soldiers.
5 Earth Day Ways to Save All Kinds of Green
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.