- The boards of ABB and Power-One have agreed to a transaction in which ABB will acquire Power-One at $6.35 per share or approximately $1 billion equity value, which includes Power-One's net cash of $266 million
- Combination creates global leader in the most attractive and "intelligent" part of the PV value chain
- Deal gives Power-One access to ABB's substantial R&D, global service and sales capabilities and complements ABB's growing inverter business and leadership in power electronics
- Right time: Solar PV industry is set for 10 percent-plus annual growth as PV-generated power rapidly approaches grid parity in many countries and will change the energy mix in the long term
- Management continuity ensured
- Integration with proven approach into the Discrete Automation and Motion division
- Transaction expected to close in 2H 2013, subject to shareholder and regulatory approvals
ZURICH, Switzerland, April 22, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ABB (NYSE:ABB), the leading power and automation technology group, and Power-One, Inc. (Nasdaq:PWER), a leading provider of renewable energy and of energy-efficient power conversion and power management solutions, today announced that their boards of directors have agreed to a transaction in which ABB will acquire Power-One for $6.35 per share in cash or $1,028 million equity value.
The transaction would position ABB as a leading global supplier of solar inverters – the "intelligence" behind a solar PV system – to a market forecasted by the International Energy Agency to grow by more than 10 percent per year until 2021. This rapid growth is being driven by rising energy demand, especially in emerging markets, rising electricity prices and declining costs.
"Solar PV is becoming a major force reshaping the future energy mix because it is rapidly closing in on grid parity," said ABB's CEO, Joe Hogan. "Power-One is a well-managed company and is highly regarded as a technology innovator focusing on the most attractive and intelligent solar PV product. The combination of Power-One and ABB is fully in line with our 2015 strategy and would create a global player with the scale to compete successfully and create value for customers, employees and shareholders."