NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I had a feeling this was going to happen.
As long ago as last October, I warned that missteps such as MappleGate were the types of moves that would make a guy like Steve Jobs ax a B-player like Cook.
Shortly after last week's article, I Tweeted:
You watch -- give it a few weeks. The Fire Cook talk will become commonplace. Just like the life w/o Jobs talk has. That's how it works.— Rocco Pendola (@Rocco_TheStreet) April 17, 2013And, lo and behold, Sunday night, Henry Blodget of Business Insider posts a Tweet of his own which credits a Forbes article with rolling the ball on talk of Tim Cook's ouster:
@hblodget @peterprudden actually I think @rocco_thestreet called for it over a week ago.— Craig Scott (@CraigScott31) April 22, 2013In that Forbes' piece, the author, Gene Marcial, claims that "Wall Street sources close to some Apple executives say [a move to find a replacement for Cook] is afoot, although there's yet no available evidence that the board ... is officially in such a game-changing mode." Marcial goes on to hijack part of the argument I made last week with this unoriginal bit of wisdom:
So unless Apple CEO Cook announces something really dramatic in new products or astronomical earnings on Tuesday, the stock will surely decline even more. And so will Tim Cook's standing with shareholders and investors -- and Wall Street. That may finally signal his exit.I don't think I have ever worked in a more predictable business. Or one with so few people who have original thoughts. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV