University Of Alabama Takes Early Lead At FLW College Fishing National Championship
ROGERS, Ark., April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Temperatures in Rogers, Ark., plummeted over 40 degrees in a 24-hour period as college anglers were greeted to a blustery 30 degree morning at takeoff on day one of the FLW College Fishing National Championship on Beaver Lake Friday. The University of Alabama team of Logan Johnson of Jasper, Ala., and Dustin Connell of Clanton, Ala., were able to overcome the cold and wind to take the early lead with a five-bass limit that weighed 18 pounds, 8 ounces. The team holds a 2 pound, 8 ounce lead over their nearest competitor, Auburn University. Twenty-five college teams from across the country are participating in the tournament and competing for a $30,000 prize package which includes a Ranger Z117 with a 90-horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard engine and a berth in the 2013 Forrest Wood Cup.
"It feels awesome to be in the lead," said Johnson, a senior in advertising. "Hopefully we'll be able to do something again tomorrow, I think we're going to have to catch 12 or 14 pounds to maintain our lead and make the cut.
According to the Crimson Tide team they are doing a lot of running and gunning on the lake; not targeting any specific pattern or cover. Although the Alabama rig played a huge role in last week's FLW Tour event on Beaver Lake many teams said they tried using the A-rig but changed tactics quickly after having little success with it. The University of Alabama indicated that two of their bass came off the A-rig but the remainder of their sack was caught using Strike King swimbaits."On our fifth cast this morning we hooked-up on the big one (a 5-pound lunker)," said Connell a senior graduate in marketing. "One hour later we had pretty much what we caught. I was pretty surprised that after the pros went through there last week that there were still fish left in the area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV