This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

How To Audit Your Own Investments

4.  How are your investments performing? You can find out how well your funds are performing by reviewing your statements. With the exception of my work plan, all our accounts were upfront about the funds' performance. I could find out how well it did from its inception, the past 10 years, five years, and one year, as well as since I had started participating in that particular fund.

My work plan's statements and website told me only that I had invested in Fidelity, but not which funds. I am sure I have a record of it somewhere, but thanks to my “ignorance is bliss” mode, I have no idea where. They did include the performance of each of Fidelity's funds, but I need to call our plan to figure out which funds I am invested in so I can properly analyze my investment portfolio.

5.  How are your investments performing compared with other investments? By following the instructions in  this post, you can evaluate an individual investment.

I plugged the ticker symbol (CWGCX) for the fund I mentioned earlier (Capital World Growth and Income Fund). If I am evaluating Morningstar's comparison correctly, its expense ratio is greater than the category average, plus it's performing in the top 72 percent of funds in its category in the last 10 years. Nice. I really mean not nice, of course. I tried another fund with a different firm. This time the fund was in the top 55 percent.

Answering the investment questions

So, have I saved enough so far? Some  sites recommend that a 35-year-old (which I am not there yet) should have saved one time's annual earnings. I have saved more than that, actually. However, my husband has saved about half of what he needs. Because we consider all the money as our money, no matter who earned it, it averages out that we have  enough saved in retirement so far to match our household's annual income.

To decide if we are diversified enough and whether our investing portfolio is appropriately risky, I need to determine which Fidelity fund(s) I have. But I can start with what I know now. Of our entire investable assets, 25 percent is in cash, 0.5 percent is in individual stocks, and the rest in mutual funds. Of the 75 percent in mutual funds, about 45 percent is in funds that have moderate risk while the other 55 percent is found in more risky investments.

For our age, I think that's too much in cash (although we have some significant expenses coming up). I suppose we could also invest in riskier options since we have a few decades to go before we need the money.

2 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.64 0.00%
FB $118.57 0.00%
GOOG $698.21 0.00%
TSLA $241.80 0.00%
YHOO $36.53 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,891.16 +117.52 0.66%
S&P 500 2,081.43 +16.13 0.78%
NASDAQ 4,817.5940 +42.2360 0.88%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs