ATLANTA, April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power employees from across the state are joining together again this year to celebrate Earth Day on Monday, April 22, by taking part in dozens of local events in their communities. From Augusta, where employees will clean up a mile of roadway, to Athens, where employees will distribute Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) at Athens Tech and the University of Georgia, to Ringgold, where employees will replant trees that were lost due to recent tornados, 2013 is going to be an active and exciting Earth Day across the Georgia Power network.
The company's annual involvement in Earth Day activities is part of Georgia Power's longstanding commitment to environmental stewardship and conservation. Each year on Earth Day, employees are encouraged to focus on service projects that help preserve the environment and strengthen the communities in which they live, work and serve.
Even if you aren't able to participate in Earth Day activities in your community, Georgia Power is providing five simple tips to make focusing on energy efficiency, and saving money, easy this Earth Day:
- Evaluate your thermostat – Set manual thermostats to 78 degrees in the summer for peak efficiency and make the most of programmable thermostats, including decreasing use when you're not home.
- Change air filters regularly – Change standard air filters once a month or pleated filters once every three months to help your heating and cooling system run more efficiently and produce cleaner air for you and your family.
- Avoid "energy vampires" – Many electronics, such as TVs and appliances with LED panels, draw power even when off or in standby mode. Use a power strip, which you can simply turn off, or unplug electronics when they are not in use.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) – Where possible, replace standard bulbs with CFLs. They use 75 percent less electricity and last up to 10 times longer.
- Do laundry the smart way – Washing full loads of clothes and avoiding "over drying" can dramatically reduce the amount of energy you use. Don't forget to clean the lint trap before every load to increase efficiency.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts