The company's noninterest income declined to $981 million in the first quarter from $1.096 billion in the fourth quarter and $1.521 billion a year earlier. The sequential decline reflected $97 million provision for mortgage repurchase claims in the first quarter. There was no provision for mortgage putback claims in the fourth quarter. The provision was $169 million in the first quarter of 2012. The year-over-year noninterest income decline reflected the prior period's gain on the ING Direct (USA) purchase.
First-quarter non-interest expense totaled $3.028 billion, declining from $3.255 billion in the fourth quarter, and increasing from $2.504 billion in the first quarter of 2012.
The provision for credit losses -- which is the amount added to loan loss reserves each quarter, thus lowering pretax earnings -- was $885 million in the first quarter, declining from $1.151 billion in the fourth quarter, and increasing from $573 million a year earlier.
Oppenheimer analyst Chris Kotowski rates Capital One "outperform," with a 12 to 18 month price target of $69. In a note to clients late on Thursday, the analyst wrote that "COF's 1Q13 was a tad better than we expected and way better than our worst fears."While the first-quarter results were padded with a release of loan loss reserves that added 23 cents a share to the bottom line, the results were "still a dime better than expected," Kotowski wrote. Kotowski raised his 2013 EPS estimate for Capital One to $6.71 from $6.48, and his 2014 EPS estimate to $6.86 from $6.79. "COF remains one of our top picks," he wrote. "Operating
Interested in more on Capital One? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV