Updated with market close information and additional information on Capital One.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
GE beat the consensus estimate among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters with a first-quarter profit of $4.1 billion, or 39 cents a share. However, the industrial giant reported weak revenues in most categories, with revenue in the Power & Gas segment down 26% year-over-year. First-quarter total industrial revenue was down 6% from a year earlier.The S&P 500 (SPX.X) and NASDAQ Composite
Capital OneCapital One late on Thursday bounced back from a lousy fourth quarter, with a strong first-quarter earnings report. The McLean, Va., credit card lender reported first-quarter net income of $1.1 billion, or $1.79 a share, compared to $843 million, or $1.41 a share in the fourth quarter, and $1.4 billion, or $2.72 a share, in the first quarter of 2012. The year-earlier period included a $594 million bargain purchase gain from the acquisition of ING Direct (USA). Excluding that gain, first-quarter 2012 earnings were $809 million, or $1.56 a share, underscoring Capital One's success in the most recent quarter. Capital One's net interest income increased to $4.570 billion in the first quarter from $4.528 billion in the fourth quarter and $3.414 billion in the first quarter of 2012. The year-over-year increase reflected the acquisition of HSBC's U.S. credit card portfolio in the second quarter of 2012. Capital One's net interest margin -- the spread between the average yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings -- expanded during the first quarter to 6.17% from 6.52% the previous quarter and 6.20% a year earlier.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV