Many in the England of 1850 felt the same way, despite the bust in railroad stocks. To demonstrate that faith they organized what we now call the first World's Fair, the 1851
"Crystal Palace Exhibition," now seen as the first high point of the Victorian Era.
But I didn't have to travel to enjoy my own Crystal Palace experience. I just went online and searched Google News with the keywords, "renewable energy breakthrough.
Virginia Tech researchers say they can harvest large amounts of hydrogen
from any plant. Hydrogen can then be "burned" in a fuel cell; its pollutant is called water.
A Canadian startup called
Firewater Fuel has developed a system for making cheap catalysts with abundant, non-toxic materials that can cut the cost of
producing hydrogen from water.
A Wyoming company called
Nitroturbodyne has patented an efficient system for storing and releasing energy using liquid nitrogen.
I found all these stories, none of which I had covered before, in the space of 10 minutes online.
Whenever you are tempted to be pessimistic about the future, try this exercise in the field of your choice. Your Crystal Palace exhibition awaits, and you will be changed by it.At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV