- Plant a tree. Trees improve air quality by filtering harmful dust and pollutants such as carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide from the air we breathe.
- Bike, walk, jog or carpool whenever possible. When greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles are released into the air, they cause air pollution and harm to the ozone layer.
- Make your home an Energy Star. Performing an energy audit on your home regularly can help lower energy bills. For a complete checklist of how to perform an energy audit, please visit http://bit.ly/HomeEnergyAudits.
- Run your dishwater and washing machine only when full to avoid wasting water. Water conservation helps prevent water pollution in nearby lakes, rivers and streams. Additionally, water pollution not only damages the environment but also harms pipes and septic systems.
- Make a compost. Composts make nutrient-rich soil that holds more water so your plants will grow better. Paper, egg shells, grass clippings, fruits, vegetables and coffee grounds can be added to a compost to make a cheap and easy fertilizer.
- Utilize reusable bags when shopping. Keep them in your car and near doors so that they can be easily reached when you are on the go. Plastic bags are not biodegradable and can take anywhere from 15 to 1,000 years to decompose. If you only have a few items, skip the bag altogether and carry them instead.
- Swap out incandescent light bulbs in your home for compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs. CFLs use less electric power and can last up to 10 times longer than regular incandescent bulbs.
Celebrate Earth Day And Lower Energy Costs, Help Save The Planet
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.