RICHMOND, Va., April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Thousands of elementary school students across Virginia will get their hands dirty while learning about clean air when they celebrate Arbor Day on Friday, April 26 by planting trees provided by Project Plant It!, Dominion's environmental education program.
Project Plant It! connects thousands of elementary school students to the environment in a fun and interactive way with hands-on lessons and activities. The program is funded by Dominion Resources, parent company of Dominion Virginia Power, and is aligned with state learning standards and supported by the national Arbor Day Foundation and the Virginia Department of Forestry.
"Dominion designed this program to provide a meaningful outdoor learning experience for children in the communities served by our company," said Virginia M. Board, managing director-Community Affairs and president of The Dominion Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Dominion. "Every student enrolled in Project Plant It! can make a personal contribution to the environment."
The cornerstone of the program is the distribution of a free tree seedling to each participating student to plant on Arbor Day. More than 33,000 students in Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut and New York will receive a redbud seedling in a recyclable container with instructions for indoor and outdoor planting.The redbud produces spectacular spring blossoms and its seeds provide winter food for birds. It can be used for nesting sites and nesting materials and provides shelter for birds and mammals alike. The redbud provides good shade when planted near patios and is an excellent tree for planting near utility lines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV