NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Monday, April 22:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were signaling an upbeat start to the week Monday, taking a cue from the overseas markets as investors awaited more prominent companies to provide their earnings and forecasts.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Monday includes existing-home sales for March at 10 a.m. EDT.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Friday finished with gains. The S&P 500 closed up 0.88% to 1,555.25. The index slid 2.11% over the past five trading sessions. The Nasdaq jumped 1.25% to 3,206.06. The tech-heavy index fell 2.7% for the week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished higher by 0.07% to 14,547.51. The blue-chip index dropped 2.14% this week.
4. -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is awake and responding sporadically in writing to questions, authorities told ABC News. Meanwhile, federal prosecutors are preparing charges against Tsarnaev. One U.S. official said the government has put off filing charges until at least Monday, The Wall Street Journal reported.
5. -- Caterpillar (CAT), the world's largest maker of construction and mining equipment, posted first-quarter earnings of $1.31 a share on revenue of $13.2 billion. Analysts were expecting Caterpillar to post a profit of $1.40 a share on revenue of $13.7 billion. The company also reduced its full-year outlook to profit of $7 a share from prior guidance of $7 to $9 a share.
6. -- Netflix (NFLX), the video-streaming service, is expected by Wall Street to report after Monday's closing bell first-quarter earnings of 18 cents a share on revenue of $1.02 billion.
7. -- Halliburton (HAL), the oilfield services company, posted a first-quarter loss of $18 million, or 2 cents a share. Excluding a charge of $637 million, earnings were 67 cents a share. Revenue in the quarter was $6.97 billion. Analysts projected Halliburton would post earnings of 57 cents a share in the first quarter on revenue of $6.88 billion.
8. -- Wall Street expects US Airways (LCC) to report first-quarter earnings of 28 cents a share on revenue of $3.37 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV