Aviation consultant Robert Mann agreed with Horton that luring TAM to Oneworld was a big win for the alliance, already the most important alliance in Latin American.
"It's big because of the significance of Brazil and the growth rates in Latin American and the prospects for further consolidation in Latin America," Mann said. "I think we will see more changes as US Airways joins Oneworld."
Mann said Oneworld does have an advantage stemming from British Airway's strength at London Heathrow and Japan Airlines' strength at Tokyo Narita. "To some degree Oneworld is smaller, but typically the Oneworld constituents argue that it's more selective," he said. "They probably have the right approach. Ubiquity is overrated, and can cost more than its worth. If you want to go fishing, you should go fishing where the big fish are."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV