United Way recognizes 3M, Comcast Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Bank of America, General Motors, Wells Fargo and The Mosaic Company with highest awards
ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- United Way Worldwide, the country's largest privately funded nonprofit, today recognized 3M with the 2013 United Way Spirit of America® award for philanthropy, volunteer engagement and community impact. Comcast Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Bank of America, General Motors, the Mosaic Company and Wells Fargo received Summit awards.
- Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK) invested more than $334 million in programs and partnerships in 39 states and Washington, DC in 2012, including $9.5 million of cash and in-kind support to United Way agencies around the country, with $2.5 million in value of in-kind support airing public service announcements. Last year, Comcast employees volunteered more than 454,000 hours, unleashing another $1.5 million in Comcast Foundation matching funds for nonprofits. One of Comcast's signature programs is Internet Essentials, the nation's largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program, which provides low-cost Internet access, computers and free digital literacy training to struggling families to help close the digital divide. More than 60 United Ways across the country support this program.
- Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) and its employees celebrated a major milestone in 2012: $1 billion in employee giving and matching funds to more than 31,000 nonprofit organizations around the world since the employee giving program began in 1983. In 2012, Microsoft donated more than $900 million in cash and software to more than 62,000 nonprofits worldwide. Microsoft also provides a $17/hour match for employee volunteer hours – 450,000 hours logged in 2012 -- generating more than $7.5 million in volunteer matching funds to U.S. nonprofits last year alone. Microsoft's citizenship focus is creating opportunities for youth through innovative programs that leverage Microsoft's software and skilled employees. Microsoft YouthSpark is a company-wide global initiative, which aims to create opportunities for 300 million youth in more than 100 countries during the next three years, and includes programs such as Technology Education and Literacy in Schools (TEALS), Partners in Learning, Imagine Cup and more.
- Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) and its employees raised more than $30.5 million through the United Way campaign, once again as a top 10 national partner. In addition, bank employees volunteered 1.5 million hours globally, including 1,500 employees leveraging their financial expertise at volunteer tax assistance sites. Since 2006, Bank of America has invested $8 million in Financial Stability grants with United Way, especially around free tax preparation and assistance, and was the first financial institution to nationally support this important work. In 2012, the bank donated $200 million to nonprofit organizations serving community needs as part of its 10-year $2 billion philanthropic goal.
- General Motors (NASDAQ: GM) -- The GM Foundation in December 2010 pledged $27.1 million to United Way of Southeastern Michigan to create a "Network of Excellence" within seven metro Detroit high schools and increase graduation rates from 50% to 80% over five years. Attendance rates at all seven schools improved last year -- an early indicator for improved graduation rates. Last year, GM employees contributed more than $5.8 million through the company's United Way campaign, plus teamGM Cares Volunteers provided nearly 1,200 hours of service to the Network of Excellence schools.
- The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS), its employees and The Mosaic Company Foundation contributed $25.4 million in community investments worldwide in 2012—including in-kind gifts totaling $3.7 million and $4 million raised through the company's annual United Way campaign. Mosaic employees contributed expertise and volunteer time to execute campaigns across its North American operations. To achieve its mission to help the world grow the food it needs, Mosaic helps farmers worldwide produce more food through crop nutrients and science-based agronomy. Its unique The Mosaic Villages Project also helps smallholder farmers move beyond subsistence farming and improve their livelihoods through increased crop production and sustainable agricultural practices.
- Wells Fargo (NASDAQ: WFC) is United Way's #1 national campaign for four years in a row. Team members raised $60.7 million in 2012 — a 23% increase over 2011—resulting in over $75.3 million with the corporate gift. Wells Fargo team members volunteered 1.5 million hours in 2012, plus the company offers a unique Volunteer Leave Program; it awarded fully paid leave to more than 21 team members in 2012 to work on a significant project for up to four months. Wells Fargo also announced a new $5 million national partnership with United Way to provide financial counseling for low-moderate income households. Wells Fargo promotes significant skilled volunteering, through its free Hands on Banking® program, focused on money management. Last year, Wells Fargo invested $315.8 million in 19,500 nonprofits.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts