United Way recognizes 3M, Comcast Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Bank of America,
General Motors, Wells Fargo and The Mosaic Company
with highest awards
April 18, 2013
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- United Way Worldwide, the country's largest privately funded nonprofit, today recognized 3M with the 2013 United Way
Spirit of America
® award for philanthropy, volunteer engagement and community impact. Comcast Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Bank of America, General Motors, the Mosaic Company and Wells Fargo received Summit awards.
"3M is committed to improving every life, using their technology expertise, resources, products and people," said
, United Way Worldwide president and CEO. "United Way is proud to recognize 3M and its employees with our highest national award for their leadership and generosity. Their work is helping to set the standard for improving educational outcomes and creating more sustainable communities."
As a science and technology company, 3M's focus is encouraging innovation through STEM (science, technology, engineering, math). In 2012, 3M donated
in cash and in-kind to education, health and human services, arts and the environment. Of the total,
went toward education, including supporting teachers and schools through ingenuity grants for STEM-focused school supplies plus providing products such as Post-it® Notes and mobile projectors.
Education programs supported by 3M reach over 7.6 million young people each year; programs include science fairs and Generation Next that are closing the achievement gap of low-income and minority students. More than 1,700 3M employees volunteer to support education, including 500 employees serving as mentors in the company's headquarters of
, increasing graduation rates in focus schools. 3M is the first company to earn an Excellence in Mentoring in America Corporate Leadership Award.
Last year, 3M raised
for 135 communities nationwide through its "Every One Counts. Live United" United Way campaign, plus employees volunteered 200,000 total hours. Globally, 3M employees serve on United Way boards in 16 U.S. states plus
"We are honored to receive this award and are proud of our long-standing partnership with United Way," said
, 3M chairman, president and CEO. "This award is the result of the tireless efforts of our employees who work to improve lives by volunteering and giving."
United Way also presented Summit Awards to these corporate leaders:
- Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK) invested more than $334 million in programs and partnerships in 39 states and Washington, DC in 2012, including $9.5 million of cash and in-kind support to United Way agencies around the country, with $2.5 million in value of in-kind support airing public service announcements. Last year, Comcast employees volunteered more than 454,000 hours, unleashing another $1.5 million in Comcast Foundation matching funds for nonprofits. One of Comcast's signature programs is Internet Essentials, the nation's largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program, which provides low-cost Internet access, computers and free digital literacy training to struggling families to help close the digital divide. More than 60 United Ways across the country support this program.
- Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) and its employees celebrated a major milestone in 2012: $1 billion in employee giving and matching funds to more than 31,000 nonprofit organizations around the world since the employee giving program began in 1983. In 2012, Microsoft donated more than $900 million in cash and software to more than 62,000 nonprofits worldwide. Microsoft also provides a $17/hour match for employee volunteer hours – 450,000 hours logged in 2012 -- generating more than $7.5 million in volunteer matching funds to U.S. nonprofits last year alone. Microsoft's citizenship focus is creating opportunities for youth through innovative programs that leverage Microsoft's software and skilled employees. Microsoft YouthSpark is a company-wide global initiative, which aims to create opportunities for 300 million youth in more than 100 countries during the next three years, and includes programs such as Technology Education and Literacy in Schools (TEALS), Partners in Learning, Imagine Cup and more.
- Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) and its employees raised more than $30.5 million through the United Way campaign, once again as a top 10 national partner. In addition, bank employees volunteered 1.5 million hours globally, including 1,500 employees leveraging their financial expertise at volunteer tax assistance sites. Since 2006, Bank of America has invested $8 million in Financial Stability grants with United Way, especially around free tax preparation and assistance, and was the first financial institution to nationally support this important work. In 2012, the bank donated $200 million to nonprofit organizations serving community needs as part of its 10-year $2 billion philanthropic goal.
- General Motors (NASDAQ: GM) -- The GM Foundation in December 2010 pledged $27.1 million to United Way of Southeastern Michigan to create a "Network of Excellence" within seven metro Detroit high schools and increase graduation rates from 50% to 80% over five years. Attendance rates at all seven schools improved last year -- an early indicator for improved graduation rates. Last year, GM employees contributed more than $5.8 million through the company's United Way campaign, plus teamGM Cares Volunteers provided nearly 1,200 hours of service to the Network of Excellence schools.
- The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS), its employees and The Mosaic Company Foundation contributed $25.4 million in community investments worldwide in 2012—including in-kind gifts totaling $3.7 million and $4 million raised through the company's annual United Way campaign. Mosaic employees contributed expertise and volunteer time to execute campaigns across its North American operations. To achieve its mission to help the world grow the food it needs, Mosaic helps farmers worldwide produce more food through crop nutrients and science-based agronomy. Its unique The Mosaic Villages Project also helps smallholder farmers move beyond subsistence farming and improve their livelihoods through increased crop production and sustainable agricultural practices.
- Wells Fargo (NASDAQ: WFC) is United Way's #1 national campaign for four years in a row. Team members raised $60.7 million in 2012 — a 23% increase over 2011—resulting in over $75.3 million with the corporate gift. Wells Fargo team members volunteered 1.5 million hours in 2012, plus the company offers a unique Volunteer Leave Program; it awarded fully paid leave to more than 21 team members in 2012 to work on a significant project for up to four months. Wells Fargo also announced a new $5 million national partnership with United Way to provide financial counseling for low-moderate income households. Wells Fargo promotes significant skilled volunteering, through its free Hands on Banking® program, focused on money management. Last year, Wells Fargo invested $315.8 million in 19,500 nonprofits.
Spirit of America
and Summit Awards program is United Way's highest national honor for a corporation, recognizing outstanding United Way
Global Corporate Leaders
. Join @UnitedWay and congratulate the winners on Twitter: @3Mgiving & @3MNews, @BofA_Community, @Comcastdreambig, @GM, @Microsoft & @msftcitizenship, @MosaicCompany and @WellsFargo, #SpiritofAmerica #UWSLC.
About 3M (NASDAQ: MMM)
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With
in sales, 3M employs about 84,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries.
About 3M Community Giving
3M Community Giving is helping to improve lives in communities around the world. Since 1953, 3M and the 3M Foundation have invested more than
in cash and products in education and charitable organizations. These donations were bolstered by thousands of employee and retiree volunteers. In 2012, 3M awarded more than
to non-profit organizations. For more information, visit
or follow @3Mgiving on Twitter.
About United Way
United Way is a worldwide network in 41 countries and territories, including more than 1,200 local organizations in the U.S. It advances the common good, creating opportunities for a better life for all by focusing on the three key building blocks of education, income and health. United Way recruits people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. LIVE UNITED® is a call to action for everyone to become a part of the change. For more information about United Way, please visit:
SOURCE United Way Worldwide