ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- United Way Worldwide, the country's largest privately funded nonprofit, today recognized The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) with a 2013 United Way Spirit of America ® Summit award for philanthropy and community impact. The Spirit of America and Summit Awards program is United Way's highest national honor for a corporation—recognizing outstanding United Way Global Corporate Leaders.
To achieve its mission—to help the world grow the food it needs—Mosaic provides farmers worldwide with the crop nutrients needed to produce more food using science-based agronomy. The Mosaic Company received Summit award recognition for its community investment foundation, The Mosaic Company Foundation, and its employees' United Way Worldwide contributions.
"The Mosaic Company is a leader in the agricultural industry and its communities," said Brian Gallagher, president and CEO, United Way Worldwide. "We're proud to partner with Mosaic and its employees to further important innovations like these and ensure all people have a brighter future."The Mosaic Company, its employees and The Mosaic Company Foundation contributed $25.4 million in community investments worldwide in 2012—including in-kind gifts totaling $3.7 million and $4 million raised through the company's annual United Way campaign. Mosaic employees contributed expertise and volunteer time to execute campaigns across its North American operations. Mosaic provides additional community support through numerous creative programs and investments, including:
- The Mosaic Villages Project, which helps smallholder farmers move beyond subsistence farming and improve their livelihoods through increased crop production and sustainable agricultural practices.
- The Tampa Bay Rays "Home Runs for Food" program, which provides a $500 Mosaic donation to local food shelves for every Rays home run.
- The Fast Food Farm in Gramercy, La., which teaches elementary school students how to grow healthy food as part of their science curriculum.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts