Staples Canada awards $250,000 in computer labs to 10 schools across the country
TORONTO, April 18, 2013 /CNW/ - Ten schools across Canada got an early Earth Day recognition after scoring high marks for their environmental initiatives.
Held in collaboration with Earth Day Canada, Staples Canada's Recycle for Education Computer Lab contest once again featured creative ideas from some of Canada's brightest young minds. Hundreds of entries showcasing green initiatives were submitted by elementary and secondary schools from coast-to-coast.
"It's inspiring to see students across the country embracing the idea that we all need to do more for the environment," said Steve Matyas, president of Staples Canada. "These students are seeking innovative solutions to benefit their schools and to make a positive difference in their community."Currently in its third year, Staples Canada's Recycle for Education Computer Lab contest rewarded the following schools with a $25,000 grant toward new computer equipment:
- Campus View Elementary School, Victoria, BC
- Windermere Community Secondary School, Vancouver, BC
- Hillview Elementary School, Edmonton, AB
- M.E. LaZerte High School, Edmonton, AB
- École Saint-Avila, Winnipeg, MB
- Parkview Secondary School, Hamilton, ON
- E.L. Crossley Secondary School, Fonthill, ON
- Hélène-de-Champlain Secondary School, Longueuil, QC
- Notre-Dame-de-Liesse, Saint-Eugène-de- Guigues, QC
- Holy Name of Mary Academy, Lawn, NL
One winning essay from Darian Chakhmouradian, a Grade 6 student at École Saint-Avila in Winnipeg, showed how the entire school community decided to rise to the "eco-challenge." The entry told the story of how the collective efforts of 450 students led to 26 organizations coming together to plant native trees and plants on the school grounds - creating a massive rain garden - to help improve air and water quality, an initiative that is now heralded as a model across the province.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts