Microsoft is also letting Google shoot itself in the foot. Google Glass has always struck me as "inside baseball," a way for co-founder Larry Page to help his partner, Sergey Brin, self-destruct so he can rule the Googleplex alone. Brin's controlling impulses are now coming out in the Glass roll-out, as The Register puts it with more than a hint of snark, "Google Glass will self-destruct if flogged on eBay."
Google Glass actually looks bad enough to make people forget Windows 8.
As Microsoft prepared to announce earnings this week, there were growing calls for Ballmer to resign, as reported
by the BBC . Problem is, to be replaced by whom? Microsoft has no successor in place, and as I noted yesterday in
writing about Intel, there are no obvious alternative visions for the company coming from outside.
The Microsoft plan for now is to focus on the cloud, on an appearance of flexibility, on attacking Google, while rolling out a new version of Windows later this year that will "fix" the problems of Windows 8, much as Windows 7 "fixed" Windows Vista in the middle of the last decade.Win or lose this quarter, is there a better strategy out there? At the time of publication, the author was long Google. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV