This shakeup in equity prices presents opportunities for many types of traders- from algo-based strategies that were stalled due to low volatility, to value and earnings traders who have seen some price moves outside of recent ranges. While the overall market sentiment has turned decidedly cautious (SPY put/call ratio lifting from 1.5 to 1.8 since January), there are still a number of bullish spots worth watching for an outright long or outperformance position vs. SPY.
Genetics firm Illumina (ILMN) is seeing opening June 60 call buying this morning as shares trade near $56.78. Earnings are to be released next week. The focus is on the June 60 strike. 1,900 contracts so far, with a $2.35 average price. Skew bent to call side.
ON Semiconductor (ONNN) saw aggressive buying of April and May 8 strike calls yesterday- shares sold off with Intel (INTC) and are a bit lower today ($7.70) but flow suggests some buying on weakness in the name. Earnings are due in early May. The 52 week range on shares is $5.82 (Nov) to $8.68 (Feb).
Another semiconductor Micron (MU) seeing some notable call buying this morning- 10 strike May calls for $0.28 to $0.31, might close an existing position.
Medical supplies company Baxter International (BAX) is near flat after earnings and a buyer stepped in to pick up nearly 5,000 August 72.50 calls today. Yesterday we saw a bullish collar in August 65-75 7,500x to open, and today looks like it may add to that bullish bet on the name.
Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) shares have bounced between near 45 and 50 a few times this year and a call spread trading this morning suggests a bullish view- initiator bought the June 52-57 call spread for $0.71 and then $0.72 a total of 2,500x as shares traded near 46.01.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV