Pennsylvania Corrections Hosts Crime Victim Speakers, Raising Staff Awareness
HARRISBURG, Pa., April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In recognition of National Crime Victims' Rights Week, April 21- 27, state corrections employees who work at the Department of Corrections' Central Office will hear two victims discuss the impact of the crime and their journey of survival.
"While employees at the DOC's Central Office work to assist state prison employees with their daily duties of protecting the public and offering offenders ways to change their criminal ways of thinking, many do not work daily inside a facility," Corrections Secretary John Wetzel explained.
"This kind of event is always important to help our employees to remember why their jobs are so vital. Our goal is to reduce future crime which will result in less crime victims," Wetzel said.
On April 23, Craig Miller will share his experience as the uncle of a young homicide victim. Earlier this week, a victim of sexual violence talked to staffers about her experience and the impact of the crime on her life.Both speakers are volunteers participating in the Impact of Crime Class, a collaboration of the Office of the Victim Advocate and the Department of Corrections. These classes are held inside state prisons where the inmates hear directly from the victims the impact of crime. Crime touches many lives. According to the Pennsylvania State Police Annual Uniform Crime Report, there were 683 murder offenses reported to Pennsylvania police agencies in 2011, an average of two each day. That same year, there were 448 arrests for murder offenses and 993 arrests for forcible rape offenses. In response to needs of crime victims, the Office of the Victim Advocate was created by the Victim Advocate Law in 1995. The OVA represents the rights and interests of crime victims before the Board of Probation and Parole and the Department of Corrections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV