Among the most broadly diversified funds is GreenHaven Continuous Commodity Index (GCC). Instead of emphasizing some sectors, GreenHaven gives equal weight to each of 17 different commodities. Under this scheme, cocoa has as much impact as crude oil.
Lately, the equal-weight approach has been working. This year, GreenHaven has lost -5.9%, ranking as the top-returning broad-basket commodity ETF. During the past five years, the fund has lost 4.7% annually, compared to an annualized loss of 13.8% for energy-heavy iShares S&P GSCI.
Spencer Bogart, an ETF analyst for IndexUniverse, recommends the Greenhaven fund for investors seeking a diversified approach. But he argues that there are legitimate reasons for investors to prefer an energy-heavy fund. "If you spend a lot of money on energy, then you may want to hedge your exposure by holding a fund that will go up when oil prices rise," he says.
Some investors were disillusioned with commodities funds because of their poor showing during the financial crisis. In the turmoil of 2008, the S&P 500 dropped 37%, and the S&P GSCI ETF did even worse, losing 45.8%. Critics said that commodities funds no longer provided the kind of diversification that they offered in the past.Since the financial crisis, commodities have begun showing lower correlations with stocks. So there is good reason to expect that broad-based ETFs can provide important diversification in future markets. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV