ATLANTA, April 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Consumers need to know how to protect their identities and the identities of their children, including the need to take precautions when filing their taxes, signing their kids up for after-school activities, filling out medical forms, creating passwords online and going about their daily lives. On the heels of a recent announcement from the Federal Trade Commission that identity theft continues to be its number-one consumer complaint, Equifax (NYSE:EFX) today is launching a website with detailed information for consumers about this growing problem and how to help protect themselves.
IdentityProtection.com features tips from experts, as well as stories of victims, in areas such as tax identity theft, medical identity theft and child identity theft. Experts will also discuss what people can do after realizing their identity has been stolen. A sampling of content:
- Tax identity theft: Tax identity theft is growing at an alarming rate. Tax-related identity theft incidents identified by the IRS increased 265% in the first 9 months of 2012 versus the full year of 2011, and 2011 was up over 500% versus 2010. Third-party tax expert Bill Nemeth offers tips consumers can use to help protect themselves.
- Identity theft and credit: Mechel Glass, vice president of community outreach at CredAbility, discusses the impact of identity theft on consumer credit and the importance of protecting personal information. CredAbility is a nonprofit organization that provides credit counseling and education to consumers.
IdentityProtection.com will feature robust, fresh and shareable content in written and video formats. With content provided by experts from Equifax and other organizations, consumers will be empowered to help them make the best decisions for themselves and their families."Identity theft is an increasingly pervasive problem, particularly in today's digital economy," said Trey Loughran, president of the Personal Solutions unit at Equifax. "This new website will be a rich resource for people who want not only to educate themselves about the problem, but also to take steps to help protect themselves and their families. Consumers who are armed with useful knowledge and tools can be a powerful deterrent to the rapid growth of this 'invisible' crime."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV