ABBOTT PARK, Ill., April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott (NYSE: ABT) today announced that the TECNIS ® Toric 1-Piece intraocular lens (IOL) has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval and is launching in the United States for the treatment of cataract patients with pre-existing corneal astigmatism.
Corneal astigmatism is a condition where the curvature of the cornea is uneven, preventing light rays from focusing clearly on the retina, resulting in blurred vision. Intraocular lenses are implanted in a patient's eye after the removal of the natural lens that has become clouded by a cataract. Unlike conventional IOLs, the TECNIS Toric 1-Piece IOL can correct a patient's loss of focus due to pre-existing corneal astigmatism of one diopter (a unit of measurement of the refractive power of a lens) or greater.
The average age for the cataract surgery patient in the United States is approximately 68 years with more than 3.5 million procedures performed annually. As the U.S. population continues to age, the number of cataract surgeries is expected to grow nearly 3 percent each year, increasing patient demand for improved, precise visual outcomes and independence from glasses."The TECNIS Toric 1-Piece IOL represents the latest advancement in cataract technology and expands Abbott's portfolio of the TECNIS family of IOLs," said Murthy Simhambhatla, senior vice president, Medical Optics, Abbott. "The TECNIS Toric 1-Piece IOL allows surgeons to offer an additional lens option that provides proven visual outcomes to increase patient satisfaction." Along with delivering precise visual outcomes for patients, rotational stability is an important attribute of a toric IOL. The TECNIS Toric 1-piece IOL remains very stable once inserted into the eye, and meets the new standard for toric IOL rotational stability, as approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV