NEW ORLEANS, April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Entergy Corporation (NYSE: ETR) today indicated that it expects first quarter 2013 as-reported earnings of approximately $0.89 per share and operational earnings of approximately $0.93 per share. Results for first quarter 2012 were a loss of $0.86 per share on an as-reported basis and earnings of $0.44 per share on an operational basis. Entergy also affirmed previously issued operational earnings guidance for 2013.
As-reported results are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and are comprised of operational earnings (described below) and special items. Special items were recorded for:
- an impairment in connection with the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant in first quarter 2012 and
- expenses associated with the proposed spin-off and merger of Entergy's electric transmission business with ITC Holdings Corp. in the first quarters of 2012 and 2013.
The increase in first quarter 2013 earnings was driven by higher results at Utility and Entergy Wholesale Commodities, which was partially offset by lower results at Parent and Other.Utility The increase in Utility first quarter 2013 operational earnings was driven by higher net revenue and lower income tax expense. The improvement in Utility net revenue reflected pricing adjustments due primarily to nuclear and combined cycle natural gas-fired generation investments in 2012. These resources provide clean and efficient generation for the benefit of customers. Both periods had negative weather effects. However, weather in first quarter 2013 was not as mild as the comparable year period, resulting in an increase in as-reported retail volume, which was also reflected in the higher net revenue. The lower income tax expense was driven by a prior period item. First quarter 2012 income tax expense included a non-cash adjustment to write off a regulatory asset for income taxes to appropriately align the financial accounting treatment with the regulatory treatment of income taxes for certain items.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV