By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Skechers (SKX) has been trending higher, and option traders are bullish ahead of the shoe retailer's earnings report.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected steady buying in the May 20 calls Wednesday, with more than 2,400 purchased against previous open interest of just 57 contracts. The initial blocks fetched $1.65, but most of the volume priced for $2.05 and $2.10.
Calls lock in the price where investors can purchase the stock. These options stand to generate significant leverage if it continues to climb but will also expire worthless if it doesn't.The stock was down as much as 4% at one point Wednesday but reversed and ended higher by 0.99% to $21.51. It has been trending higher for the last year and is now bouncing at its 50-day moving average. The company hasn't yet announced its next earnings date, but last year's calendar suggests that it will occur before the end of April. Total option volume was eight times greater than average Wednesday, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 20 to 1. Russell has no positions in SKX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV