When you're dealing with dollars that matter to you and your future -- as an investor, a human, a spouse, a parent -- look for some level of certainty. That doesn't mean you take no risks. That doesn't even mean you don't own some collection of volatile and/or speculative stocks. But put some certainty in your core.
Not only should you limit your AAPL exposure; there's really no longer good reason to own any in the first place.
For more than the last year, I have touted the virtues -- and relative outperformance -- of media stocks, particularly big media companies. To a name, they undressed AAPL, which underscores two of my core themes:
Are you in AAPL for the right reasons? Or are you trying to prove a point to yourself or somebody else? Look for a broad narrative of certainty and invest in stocks that are out front in telling that story.
There's not a more certain space than big media. I get into the reasons why in the above-linked articles. But, in the shell of a nut, these are the guys that own and control the most premium media in the world. Intact narratives. Clear futures. Great balance sheets and capital structures, including, in many cases, dividends/buybacks. But not without the potential -- really the likelihood -- for massive growth.Yet many investors are still busy messing with Apple? It's a fun stock and company to follow, but a suspect investment choice. It's been that way for a while and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV