Google's ability to keep growing has given the company a market value of nearly $258 billion. Only Apple, with its now-diminished market cap of around $373 billion, has a larger market value among the major technology companies.
Google's stock price has climbed nearly 10% in 2013 which is slightly more than the S&P 500 index has grown during the same time period. Besides owning shares of GOOG directly it is a component and represents 6.43% of the assets in the Proshares UltraTechnology ETF (ROM).
Please keep in mind that ROM is leveraged and that it attempts to correspond to two times (2x) the daily performance of the Dow Jones U.S. TechnologySM Index. This has its obvious advantages and disadvantages so read its prospectus carefully before considering investing in ROM.
Thursday will be a big day for two of the biggest technology companies in the world. Between the earnings news and the conference calls we'll all have a better picture how these two competitors, Google and Microsoft, will continue the fierce rivalry between them. Expect surprises one way or another.At the time of publication the author was long shares of AAPL, MSFT and ROM. Follow @m8a2r1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV